Now that I’ve got something like the intro to the song figured out, I’m beginning to realize that percussion is going to be the bit that decides how the rest of the tune will go. I suspect it’s going to be six kinds of funky and four kinds of weird once I get the vocals in (I plan to make the vocals as daffy as I can). I’m not going to alter the bass sound much — it’ll be fine amplified and filtered a bit. The fiddle sounded just fine left to its own devices, but I decided to screw with it anyway to create a stranger sound. I can’t really do anything about the missing piano bits (although I’m thinking of filling them in on the octave mando, just for giggles).
For now, enjoy the wackitude that is the first test version of the intro (with only fiddle, bass, and percussion):