UPDATE! And also: I am tired.

The ol’ February album writing challenge is swiftly coming to an end, and I am beginning to feel the pressure. So far, I’ve recorded a bunch of songs that I feel (mostly) good about. Sure, the blues thing was a bit phoned-in, and there’s a bit of silliness in my little collection of February tunes, but so far I’ve liked what I’ve done. It hasn’t been great, it hasn’t been perfect, but it’s been done, which was the point. That’s the theme of my month (and especially of this week, when I also had a deadline to submit a paper).

The problem with the “better done than perfect” attitude is that “done” can include the occasional stinker, especially as the deadline draws nearer. This is just as true of the paper I just submitted (which I will not be surprised to see rejected, honestly) as it is of my little noise project.

This weekend, I added two songs I’m…well, I’m just not as thrilled about, honestly.

The first is a sort of experiment gone a bit awry:

I don’t think this is either written or recorded very well, but I just couldn’t figure out what else to do with it. I think that if I had more time and energy, I’d change the guitar part (I’d certainly move the chords around differently) and then find something more interesting to do with the vocals. as it is, it’s kind of…blah. Low energy, no dynamics…blah. I like the vocal effect, but that’s about all I like about the recording. I struggled with a bass part for a few hours before I just had to throw up my hands and move on.

It is, however, DONE.

I actually like the second song a little better, but I just ran out of gas while I was recording it. It’s got potential that it is not currently realizing, I think.

In this case, I think the recording bugs me more than the song itself. I just couldn’t get the very beginning of the guitar part to sit right, so the whole thing just begins with an abrupt blunder and bobbles along from there. I was too tired and annoyed to re-do it again after two hours of trying to work around barking dogs and phone calls, so I left it and decided to accept mediocrity. This one could sound cool, I think — I need to find some way to make the vocal performance live a bit more.

Oh, well. Done is done, and this leaves with with two more songs to go. I suspect one or the other of the next two (possibly both) will be a crappy little joke ditty just to finish. There just aren’t enough hours in the day!

So, the whole thing thus far (new songs and a few old ones):

Tired now.

Advertisements

About L. M. Bernhardt

For a good long while (15 years or so), I taught philosophy at a little private university in northwest IA, and occasionally branched out into playing music, dabbling in photography, experimenting with food, and writing nonsense on my blog. The philosophy teaching part ended in 2017 (program elimination via prioritization), but never fear! I've just finished my MLIS at San Jose State University, and I'm currently on the market looking for new adventures in either philosophy or LIS. Otherwise, I labor to support my dogs in the lavish manner to which they've become accustomed.
This entry was posted in February Songwriting Challenge. Bookmark the permalink.